PSHE CURRICULUM INTENT STATEMENT
At Butterwick C of E Primary School our intention is that, when children leave our school, they do so with the knowledge, understanding and emotions to be able to play an active role in today’s society. We want our children to have high aspirations, a belief in themselves and realise that anything is possible if they put their mind to it.
What do we want for our pupils?
- Develop a confidence in sharing their own thoughts and opinions with others.
- Develop skills and attributes to keep themselves healthy and safe.
- Develop an attitude of a responsible global citizen.
- To begin to develop financial awareness and how this impacts on their economic wellbeing.
- To show tolerance and acceptance of others beliefs, religions and life choices.
- To build positive, respectful relationships with other people.
How do we deliver PSHE at Butterwick Primary School?
- All pupils in all year groups learn through the Jigsaw approach during a timetabled weekly session. Every term, the whole school learn about the same theme. There are 6 themes:
- Being Me in My World
- Celebrating Differences
- Dreams and Goals
- Healthy Me
- Changing Me
- The Jigsaw approach has mindfulness underpinning it. This means that as well as teaching information and skills to empower children to learn now, and improve their life-chances later, we also aim to help them develop personal awareness. This enables them to observe their own thoughts and feelings, regulate them and make conscious decisions about their learning, behaviour and lives. It helps them to remain focused on the present moment and thrive in it.
- Visitors such as emergency services and drugs awareness organisations complement our PSHE curriculum to offer additional learning, e.g Stay Safe Partnership, EmTet and Anti-bullying organisations.
- E-Safety is not only taught through Jigsaw but through discrete 'Project EVOLVE' lessons across the whole school.
- Our PE curriculum incorporates PSHE through its Health sections and is taught by our school staff and the PE staff.
- Assemblies are planned to cover any additional sessions that would benefit the whole school or key stage.
- Jigsaw brings together PSHE Education, emotional literacy, social skills and spiritual development in a comprehensive scheme of learning. Teaching strategies are varied, mindful of preferred learning styles and the need for differentiation. Jigsaw is designed as a whole school approach, all year groups working on the same theme (Puzzle) at the same time.
We firmly believe that a meaningful PSHE curriculum is the key to children becoming confident, tolerant and well-adjusted adults.
- Children can approach a range of real life situations and apply their skills and attributes to help navigate themselves through modern life.
- Children can link their learning to our school values we have in place, those being: love, friendship, hope, service, forgiveness and respect.
- From exposure to a range of global issues and problems, children can build up tolerance and a sense of responsibility of being a global citizen.
- Through becoming acquainted with the Jigsaw recommended texts and indeed, the cross curricular texts in school; children can understand the different lifestyles that people may live and be respectful and tolerant towards those leading different lives to themselves.