MFL CURRICULUM STATEMENT
Our teaching, through the study of French, develops a passion for languages through reading, writing and speaking in French as well as an understanding of French culture to foster the children’s curiosity about France and deepen their understanding of the world.
Speaking a foreign language can lead the way to great experiences in work, education, and travel. As an official language of many countries across the globe, learning French will give our children many more opportunities in life enhancing their cultural capital.
Our language's curriculum is based on the development of language milestones throughout KS2 in one language – French. The curriculum builds their knowledge of reading fluency, writing imaginatively, speaking confidently and understanding the French culture taking the children from a basic level of understanding from their starting point to an advancing and eventually a deep understanding.
Through our language's curriculum we are developing the essential characteristics of linguists: -
- The confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation
- Fluency in reading
- Fluency and imagination in writing
- A strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken
- A passion for languages and a commitment to the subject
- The ability to use languages creatively and spontaneously
- An independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources
Our study of languages also reinforces Christian values to accept, love and embrace those from other cultures, show respect for other people’s views and ideas, and giving the children the wisdom they need to become responsible and considerate citizens of the world.