Skip to content ↓
Butterwick Pinchbeck's Endowed C of E Primary School

Butterwick Pinchbeck's Endowed C of E Primary School

School Information

LIVE TOGETHER, LEARN TOGETHER, ACHIEVE TOGETHER

There has been a school in Butterwick for a very long time. In 1665 Anthony Pinchbeck left seventy-four acres of land to a group of people who were charged with the task of administering the land, renting it to farmers and using the rent to provide a grammar school for all the boys in the surrounding area and a house for the headmaster.

On October 23rd 1876, under the Endowed Schools Act, the endowment of the school is devoted to Elementary Education - no longer a grammar school. The old building was to be adapted as an infant and girls' school and a new school built for boys, the cost of the new building to be £2,100.

The first log book of the Girls' School had previously been that of Freiston National School. It contains among others these entries:-
July 12th 1878. All the boys except infants leave Freiston School today and will join Butterwick boys on Monday next.
May 30th 1879. Today closes the school year as well as the career of the Freiston National School.
June 2nd. School transferred to Butterwick under the name of Pinchbeck's Endowed Girls School - 37 children admitted.

In 1961 with the building of the Giles School, the children aged 11 were transferred there. The two Butterwick Schools combined under one Head Teacher, Miss D Calthrop, with the infants using the Boys’ School and the juniors using the Girls’ School. The Governors had a new building constructed, combining both groups of children in 1973, with 5 classrooms. There are now 13 classrooms.

Until 31 December 1993 the school was Church of England Voluntary Aided. On January 1994 the school became Grant Maintained with no change in the School's Christian Foundation. A purpose-built Nursery Unit was opened in April 1998, admitting children the term after their fourth birthday. With the abolition of Grant Maintained status, the school returned to being Church of England Voluntary Aided in 1999. In 2009 the preschool moved from the Old Girl's School site into a newly extended Nursery Unit on the main school site.